Doing the Polar Bear Plunge and Other Stupid Things to Try to Feel Young

I did the New Year’s Day Polar Bear Plunge yesterday at Tybee Island with several hundred other thrill seeking morons, including my husband James.

People keep asking “so, what was it like, jumping into the freezing Atlantic Ocean?”

“Uhm, it was cold….and wet, very wet…..and cold. Did I mention that it was cold and wet? That is, until my bottom half sort of lapsed into numbness. There was no tingling sensation like biting into a York Peppermint Pattie. No, nothing that positive.”

Click here to download my book, Just Kidding (not really) to read the rest of this and 60 other funny essays about life, marriage, kids and being neurotic.

This entry was posted in Aging, Bad Ass, Polar Bear Plunge, Reclaiming youth through stupidity. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Doing the Polar Bear Plunge and Other Stupid Things to Try to Feel Young

1. Nicole says:

Excellent!!

2. Jay Hudson says:

Angela,congratulations on your adventure.
    I would love to be 36 again,but nothing could induce me to jump in cold water..
    I hate cold weather now,so no way would I take the Polar Bear Plunge.

3. Sbaron says:

Angela, Good for you! Now you can cross that one off your list. Where is Tybee Island?
    Several years ago my son went in off a Milwaukee beach into Lake Michigan. Holes in the ice and all that.
    Good job on the story too.

4. Heidi says:

Do you feel younger now? They do the polar plunge around here (in WI) routinely into water underneath a cut out ice circle then run into a sauna. Good for you, though! 😉

5. unwriter says:

I live where it gets very cold also,but I've decided I can take my polar bear plunge in the summer knowing it's winter half a world away.
    Well written. Love your humor. BTW, thermal underwear does come in women's sizes also.

6. Anonymous says:

thanks for the interesting information

7. shorebirdz says:

I attended the Polar Bear Plunge with my children, who also took the plunge. I was just there to photograph the event. Came dry and warm, left dry and warm, and glad to say “better you than me”. I'll just live vicariously through all of you nuts.

Love your blog!