I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus is a Sick and Disgusting Song

This morning as I shopped, I found myself singing along to John Mellancamp’s version of I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus on the department store Muzak (or whatever the heck it is these days). It’s kind of creepy listening to Johnny boy’s gravelly voice confessing voyeuristic pleasure over his mother and St. Nick. I wonder how old she is anyway. And does he often walk in on her making out with mythical child idols?

But that got me thinking. “Uh-oh, my friends are undoubtedly saying under their breath. Here comes the rant.” I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus is a pretty disgusting song, if you ask me. We all know what it’s about. A kid sneaks a peak at his mom getting hot and heavy with bearded man in red suit. But what gets me is that the kid thought it was funny. FUNNY!!! He wasn’t alarmed. He wasn’t ashamed!!! He simply found the whole situation to be humorous. This leads me to wonder just how many times the kid walks in on his mom making out with strange men in their home. It’s obviously a common place happening. He thinks nothing about Mom slipping the tongue to someone other than his father.

Click here to download my book, Just Kidding (not really) to read the rest of this and 60 other funny essays about life, marriage, kids and being neurotic.

This entry was posted in Christmas Carols, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus is a Sick and Disgusting Song

1. Bob Wolf says:

Only you, Angela.

2. That song always creeped me out, too, but I never knew why. I think you figured it out. LOL

3. Erik Deckers says:

That's because Santa was the dad dressed in a red suit, and the kid didn't know it was really him.

4. @ Eric….that's what we're SUPPOSED to think. But let me ask you. Where in the song does it SAY that it's his dad? Hmmmmmmmm???? It doesn't. We're just supposed to assume that it's all innocent.

5. Jody Worsham says:

Uh oh, somebody didn't get that Easy Bake Oven she asked for way back when!

6. Sharon says:

I'm guessing that your rant is tongue-in-cheek.

7. Kelley says:

Ha! That's it. I'm now outraged! I'm with you! Where will you be tomorrow? Let's picket the heck out of this thing!

8. KMACdonald says:

Yeah, well big deal, Ang! I caught my mommy playing strip poker with the Easter Bunny and I was nothappy! In fact. it scarred me for life. Now whenever I see a chocolate bunny, I start vomiting up colored Easter eggs and those yellow marshmallow peeps.
    It ain't pretty.
    I'm with you — Santa's obviously using his power to seduce moms everywhere.
    But the mom in question is just a common Ho, Ho Ho!

9. You are so right about that song being totally twisted, and no one has ever taken the time to “flesh” this idea out until now! Thanks for the laugh!