NaBloPoMo, My New Drug of Choice

Today is November one, which is the first day of my commitment to write a blog post every single day this month as part of NaBloPoMo. That’s a really unfortunate acronym. Don’t you think?

It’s a spin off from NaNoWriMo, an equally unfortunate acronym which stands for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to pound out a complete work of fiction in the 30 days of November. This is the novelists’ equivalent to Lent or any other period of self-imposed discomfort, like a month long Brazilian wax.

Since I don’t write fiction, unless you count exaggerations and inaccurate metaphors, I’ll be doing the bloggers’ version, called NaBloPoMo, which I’m assuming means National Blog Post Month, but no one ever really said.

Ruth Curran, the administrator of our bloggers’ group, posted a message asking “who’s up for NaBloPoMo?” in the same way one would ask who’s up for a game of Scrabble or who’s up for doing the dishes.

NaBloPoMo reminds me of the trendy hybrid dog breeds that are all the rage these days.

“Your new puppy is beautiful! What breed is that?”

“Oh, he’s a JackShit. Ya know, Jack Russell terrier and Shi Tzu.”

“Wow, I thought he might be a LabSpanChiCockaDoodle”

“Nah, we researched those, but found that they’re prone to hip dysplasia. Our second choice was a PitPugRott.”

“PittPugRott. That’s what I had last night at the new Thai restaurant downtown.”

NaBloPoMo also makes me think of the pharmaceutical commercials that are always running on cable TV.

“You shouldn’t drive or operate machinery while taking NaBloPoMo. Some users of NaBloPoMo may suffer harsh side effects like suicidal thoughts, liver damage, restless leg syndrome, bad taste in clothing, relentless drooling, dandruff and voting for democrats. Do not drink alcohol while taking NaBloPoMo. Do not mix NaBloPoMo with other alphahydroxy beta blocker cumin re-uptake inhibitors.”

NaBloPoMo…Because Life Shouldn’t Be Interrupted by Psoriasis.

one blog post down. 29 more to go.

13 Responses to NaBloPoMo, My New Drug of Choice

1. Roz Warren says:

“He’s a Jackshit.” That totally cracked me up. Great start! Keep going. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

Thanks, Roz. Scary what comes out of my brain sometimes.

3. As l a long time daily blogger, I attest to how it can make you crazy. That’s my excuse, anyway.

4. Brilliant! (And, yes, it is an unfortunate acronym. )

5. Ellen Dolgen says:

I am sitting in my bathrobe-drinking my coffee and giggling. Thanks!

6. kimtb says:

I think alcohol is absolutely required for this…I am going to sit on the sidelines and watch. 3-4x a week is plenty for me! But honey, you all go right ahead… : )

7. I posted daily — every freakin’ day! — for the first three years of my blog. It wore me out. And took away from my time for my freelance writing. Thus, I don’t nablopomo. I post daily nomo, too.

8. nfhill says:

Month long Brazilian wax, OMG girl, I cannot get this image out of my mind!!! I’m laughing and crying!

Ha ha! Oh, it’s going to be a long month for all of us 🙂

Love your description of Ruth throwing the challenge of writing daily out there as if it were a quick round of scrabble. If only… I still can’t believe I signed up for another round of this myself!

I love your spin on this one. It’s going to be a long and trying month, but I’m excited! And terrified. Here goes nothing!

12. CaptCruncher says:

Just a walk in the park Angela 🙂 but the company is exceptional and we are all under the influence of the same “drug of choice”!

13. Sarah Mac says:

I was walking on the beach in Cornwall at the weekend and stopped to pat a couple of dogs – I asked the owner what breed they were and she said Cavalier King Charles crossed with Poodles – Cavadoodles according to her but I’m going with King Poos!