Publishing an Ebook with Smashwords and Amazon KDP

NaBloPoMo Day 12

My first ebook is ready to publish. Finally!!! If you like my blog, then you’ll enjoy the book. If not, then I’ll have to kill you.

angela book cover

Here is what it looks like.

I’ve been very torn about whether or not I should tell people it’s me on the cover with my head in the box. So, here’s my question to you, dear readers…

Would you be more or less interested in shelling out $2.99 for the book if you knew that I was wearing the box? Would you even care? Should you even care? Do you judge books by their covers? Do you count your chickens before they hatch? If a tree falls in the woods…..

Anyway, the ebook should be available for download on Amazon Kindle, ibooks, Nook and Smashwords tomorrow afternoon, barring any unforeseen obstacles. (I started naming off a bunch of terrible things that could happen, but then began to feel really creepy, like I was dooming myself, so I deleted them….Kind of like when you brag about not getting a speeding ticket for ten years. Next thing you know, you’re the state’s first death row inmate for doing 45 in a school zone. Weird things like that can happen. And I, for one, do not want to tempt fate.)

Alrighty, it’s beddy bye basket* time. If I haven’t told you lately…thanks so much for reading my stuff and supporting me. It means a lot.

* Without clicking on the link, who can tell me which Disney movie the term “beddy bye basket” came from? It’s my favorite.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Publishing an Ebook with Smashwords and Amazon KDP

1. Louise says:

I don’t think I would care who’s in the picture on the front. If you don’t say anything people will assume it’s some nameless and faceless (literally) model. If you say it’s you, people will think the book is much more DIY and less professional looking, which can be both a good and a bad thing depending on the content of your book and your audience. That’s what I think anyway. 😀 Good luck with your new book!

Louise, I like your thinking! Now I can feel good about honestly admitting that it isnt me in the box. Just a photo my designer chose that she said went well with my blog and writing voice. Although, I sort of like the idea of throwing on a cardboard box each morning instead of having to do my hair and makeup. Thanks for your comment.

Liked by 1 person

3. Toni McCloe says:

I definitely think you should tell people it’s you in the box. I think it will make people want to read it more to learn why.I know that’s what I am thinking. I LOOK at books because of their covers. I judge them because of their contents.

Ahhhh, now that’s also an excellent point! Thanks, Toni. When is your memoir coming out? I want to read it. Loved you after that blog post I read about your class assignment.

Good for you for having a new ebook! That’s so awesome.

I think I respect you more for having the guts to play your head in a box and then tell people! Hahaha!

Thanks, Cathy! Im still in upload purgatory. Hopefully it’ll be done today.

7. I didn’t click and I have no idea who said “beddy bye basket.” Mary Poppins? No. Winnie the Pooh? Oh well. On the subject of the cover — how awesome for you — even before I read your words I thought — I wonder if that is Angela under the box. Maybe because I know you? I still think it would be fun to know even if I was a random fan buying your book. Which you will have oodles and oodles of.

8. Congratulations! I think it’s great that’s YOU under there. Perhaps the back cover should have been you peeking from underneath. 😀 Again, kudos on the Ebook, box over your head or not.

I love book covers. And I do think it makes it more interesting that you are the one under the box. Congrats!

10. Congratulations on the e-book! I really like the title, but I’d love to know if it’s you in the box. There is something fun and very engaging about the vulnerability. I can’t speak for everyone, but I can certainly say my head has belonged in a box more than once. 🙂

11. Congratulations on the book! How exciting! I know it will be a huge success, regardless of whether or not anyone knows it’s you under there! Maybe you can have a contest asking people to guess who it is!

12. Leah Clair says:

I think people should always think outside the box. 🙂 What counts is the material in the book, which is, of course, gonna be EPIC. Good luck, don’t break a leg (figured you don’t need any encouragement to be a klutz)

Lol! Thanks, Leah! I’m still waiting for it to show up on Amazon.