My Ebook is Now For Sale on Amazon. (and I didn’t have to change my last name)

Hi Everyone,

I’m not sure how a whole week-and-a-half went by without a single new blog post. I am still alive and writing. (Sorry if this causes you to lose a bet.)

Our Thanksgiving trip to Clover Creek Farm hunting reserve was amazing. I was depressed and feeling alone before we left, but John and Pam, the farm’s owners were just like family…except without the passive-aggressiveness and leftover childhood resentments.

There were a couple other families there too. We all ate meals together, hunted together (Andrew and I don’t hunt. I don’t even like stepping on bugs.) and played games into the night. It may become our Thanksgiving tradition every year. James and Walker, another hunter are already planning a turkey season visit to John and Pam’s place. Hopefully, they’ll let me tag along.

And we got a doe. Apparently deer numbers are down this year throughout the Southeast (except in our neighborhood).

IMG_5290

His grand dad and uncle Rob would be so proud.

IMG_5286

Love Colton. He’s my new adopted 15 year old son.

IMG_5250

Andrew’s less than thrilled. He doesn’t like hunting, would rather be on a baseball field and his mom is embarrassing him by wearing her stupid owl beanie.

photo

My husband is one romantic guy.

We’re looking forward to a freezer full of deer tenderloin and our first venison jerky making project.

Wait a minute. I didn’t sit down to write about the hunting trip. I was going to tell you that my book, the one that’s taken six years off my life, that still may have formatting glitches here and there, and I didn’t have to change my name to publish…well, it’s finally live on Amazon. Downloadable for just $2.99.

Yay. It’s done. And I’m still sober.

angela book cover

Here’s the link so you can buy one for everyone you know.

20 Responses to My Ebook is Now For Sale on Amazon. (and I didn’t have to change my last name)

I am glad you had a good time and enjoyed your Thanksgiving.

I have to be honest by saying I’m opposed to guns and am an animal activist, so this post was very difficult for me. No animal “asks for it.”

Let’s just agree to disagree.

Oh my gosh, Cathy. Im so sorry. Was just making a joke about the “asking for it.”

I’m starting to realize that you and i must’ve grown up in two completely different worlds. My father was a very well respected firearms dealer and Second Amendment rights advocate.
    Animals that are hunted have MUCH better lives than those raised for food.

I eat only cage free eggs because of the terrible conditions most laying hens exist in.

Sorry, Angela, but I’m with Cathy. It was actually really upsetting to see the photos and the “asking for it” quote.

I completely respect anyone’s right to disagree with this post. But unless they’re a strict vegan who never wears leather or uses any product that animals contribute to, then I can reserve the right to call them a hypocrite.

Animals hunted for food are usually killed with one shot. They die immediately or within minutes. If you eat eggs bought from the grocery store, then most likely the hen that laid them is living a miserable, inhumane existence in a cage the size of an 8 x 11 sheet of paper that she can’t even stand up in. And the same goes for the chickens most of America eats.

Those who eat steak can take comfort in knowing that the meat most likely came from a cow that was raised in filthy, standing room only, feed lot conditions, fattened up by corn with no nutritional value, pumped full of steroids and then electrocuted. Just check out any feed lot in the country. (Harris Ranch on I-5 in Southern California is the one I’ve visited.) Then tell me which animals have a better life…the deer that grew up in their own habitats and are hunted to keep their numbers down and their population healthier or the cows that spend their entire lives without enough room to even sit down.

Ever enjoyed a farm-raised catfish or salmon? Most likely it spent its entire life in an overcrowded tank, rife with toxins, disease and feces. Scientists studying fish raised in these environments have learned that they’re much less healthy than their open water counterparts and display neurotic behaviors unique to a lifetime of confinement.

And if you’ve ever enjoyed a visit to the zoo, I can pretty much assure you that the animals there would much rather be in their own habitats, running the risk of hunters.

Now about gun control. Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. Lack of personal responsibility is the problem here. Homicide and drugs are illegal. Yet both are still very prevalent. How would outlawing guns be any different? If people want to break a law, they’re going to break it.

The Swiss are widely known for having the most liberal gun ownership laws in the world. Yet Switzerland’s crime rate is surprisingly low. In contrast, Brazil’s gun control laws are becoming more and more strict, some of the most limiting among the nations, yet it’s known as having one of the highest homicide rates worldwide. Based on these facts, how can anyone say that gun control laws can reduce homicides. As the old saying goes….”if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.”

5. Clay Mercer says:

Angela! Do you realize how refreshing it is to see someone who provides their children with a well-rounded outdoor experience? I especially loved the two photos of the boys on the gun range. Very few people realize the important part firearms instruction plays in responsible gun ownership. I don’t find the images of your son with his trophy disturbing at all. That’s one child that I can guarantee understands the lethal potential that is inherent in every firearm.

Not only that, it’s important for children to learn solid conservation techniques if they’re ever going to apply them in real world situations. Conservation doesn’t mean ‘preservation’, it means wise use of resources. Very few non hunters understand that sport hunters, such as y’all, provide a very necessary service to the ecosystems the animals you hunt inhabit. Not only that, your license fees go directly into conservation efforts designed to ensure that game will be available for future generations to hunt for years and years to come.

I found your joke about the doe ‘asking for it’ to be particularly amusing. You might check the body shops and insurance companies in the area to find out how many motor vehicle accidents, even deaths, are the result of vehicles who encounter deer no larger than that doe. Kudos for doing y’all’s part to keep the roads safe!

As for the drop of blood….obviously from the color it is arterial blood, the type of blood sign every experienced hunter wants to see. That bright red stain indicates that the hunters shot was indeed lethal and that the game can’t be far away. It’s the equivalent of a ‘star’ on a homework assignment, because it means your son really did an expert job of marksmanship.

I know James realizes what a lucky man he is to be married to someone as practical, funny, and published as you. We miss you in South Georgia.

Thanks so much, Clay! Written like a true published author. (Hey, that’s you!) What people don’t realize is that hunters are often the safest, most responsible gun owners in the world. At three years old i could recite “always treat a gun as if it’s loaded and NEVER point a gun at any living think you don’t intend to kill” thanks to my dad who was a firearms dealer.

And don’t even get me started about veal and fois gras….

8. tamwarner says:

My son has just started to shoot in competitions and he worked at a gun range for a while. His liberal mother almost had a breakdown. I’m better now, but I still do not like my son being armed all the time. If he killed something I’d have a heart attack. I understand all the arguments. I respect them, and know some are even right. You sound like a responsible person, and I can respectfully disagree with you. By the way did you know that the Swiss have a very hard time buying bullets? When they go shooting at a range, they have to account for every bullet they shot. It is ammo that is hard to get there. This info comes from a couple of close friends living in Basel and Zurich. You know what the real problem is? America is full of unstable, mentally ill people. And they have access to guns. I like the Swiss….have all the guns you want! To get ammo, you have to really work at it. This comes from someone raised by a two time veteran, ex-farmer who would not allow even a BB gun in our home. He was ADAMANT. No guns. Period.

9. Nicholas Thompson says:

Firstly, please excuse any errors, writing from my phone and quite frankly don’t have time to fix them.

I love a good debate and respect a difference of opinion. That being said, I fully support hunting in all legal and ethical manner as well as the Second Amendment Right to Bear Arms.

We as law abiding American citizens have the right given to us in the Constitution to bear arms and keep a militia, in order to fight threats both foreign and domestic. Domestic threats being a tyrannic government or a carjacker with an illegally acquired firearm wanting to inflict harm on myself, my family or my neighbor. We have that right to own and responsibly use a gun.

In the photos it appears that Jack is enjoying to shoot and doing so in a safe and responsible way. Firearm safety is a must and it appears that they were being safe. When a child is taught proper safety and raised in a good home, guns are not going to be a threat. I agree completely with Angela on the fact that if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns, then how are we to protect ourselves.

Hunting is not solely about the pursuit of a kill, but also about respect of the animal. It seems the “asking for it” comment is the major problem. I can see where a non or anti hunter would take offense to this comment. However, if you have ever been around a hunter many will use this terminology. It basically means that “this was the only legal animal seen, so we harvested it.”

Legal and ethical hunting only helps an animal herd. Without hunting animals would be overcrowded forcing themselves into unsuited land and diminished food causing sickness and starvation leading to a long slow painful demise.

Dominion over animals should entail a humane management of them as the resource that God has ordained them to be. We must fulfill our duty to manage the earth wisely until that time when the wolf shall lie down with the lamb in the kingdom of Christ (Isaiah 11:6).

Animals have no sense of overcrowding and overpopulation. They will continue to reproduce whether resources are available or not. It’s a hunters job to manage the animal so the animals won’t hurt themselves. CWD or Chronic Wasting Disease is a terrible disease that affects deer and elk that is attributed to overcrowding. Look up this disease if you have never seen it’s affects. Here in middle and South Georgia you can ride up the road and more than likely at least every few miles you will see a roadkill deer. This is in part due to human encroachment but also the verge of overcrowding. It’s much better for a hunter to ethically harvest a deer and it be used than to be hit and damage a car and the meat then me wasted.

I always respect any animal I harvest, be it a small squirrel or a large deer. The animal doesn’t “ask” for it, but the animal can’t manage themselves so we must. In the photos they in no way disrespect the harvested doe and Angela stated they were using the meat, not wasting the deer.

My mother doesn’t hunt or shoot, but she respects both due to being exposed to them and seeing what they both accomplish. If the media is all you have ever seen of hunters and firearms I encourage you to do some independent research on the issues. If you still feel the same afterwards, be glad you live in America where our military gives us the right to have and express our differing opinions.

Tam, that’s pretty interesting. And i want to hear more arguments like yours. Because I am never too closed-minded to listen and see things ftom another’s point of view.

And you’re spot on correct about America’s problem. It’s mental issues paired with lack of responsibity.

Just curious about your dad, what did he say was the reason he didnt allow guns? Being a Vietnam vet, i’d respect that he had very qualified reasons for his stance.

Liked by 1 person

Right on, Nicholas!!! I am so proud of you!!! Hey, everybody, I was his teacher one year. And he’s grown up to be such a fine, responsible fellow.

12. Angela, this is also a hot issue for me, as I am very much opposed to guns. I respect your right to have your opinion but I can’t see a photo of an animal shot in the wild and pretend to like it, or the story behind it. I’m sorry.

Helene, do you eat meat at all? If the answer is yes, then would you prefer to see photos of the miserable, diseased feedlot and caged animals that the vast majority of Americans eat? I can assure you they’re MUCH more disturbing than a healthy doe being harvested in the wild.

14. Darlene Daniel says:

Angela, thus far it appears that I am the only female who agrees with you. Although my husband does not hunt, we are avid supporters of those who do. We also are very much in favor of owning guns. Your article was very well written and very humorous, but then, they always are! I am disappointed that I could not purchase your book, I have a Nook, not a Kindle.

Darlene, im working on Nook next. Will let you know when its avsilable. Thanks for your sweet comment. Love you guys.

16. Gil Gillis says:

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” Genesis 1:26

If we believe God’s Word, then hunting is a good thing. Anything in life can be abused, but as far as most hunters in America they do not abuse animals. Is taking an animal for food wrong? No. God’s Word says it is not wrong. For some, looking at a dead animal is not appealing, but that does not make it wrong to harvest an animal. According to God’s Word.

Some people are pescataians, (eating fish, but no meat), and not being silly, but don’t fish
    have feelings? Scallops and shrimp? How do we really know vegetables don’t feel. Some people
    claim you can talk to your plants and they do much better. I truly think God has made provisions for the pain of animals in harvesting or He would not have allowed us the rights to use them for food.

So, God is displeased with abuse to animals or to the earth, but we must be careful not to
    worship the creation instead of the Creator. We are made to rule over the livestock and wild animals and the earth.

To end with a blistering comment…I wish the people who worry so much about animal rights
    felt the same way about human life. Babies. Abortion.

Isnt that the truth, Gil. So many animal rights and prisoner rights advocates will turn right around and fervently support murdering an unborn child as a woman’s right.

18. Candy Turbeville says:

Angela, I always enjoy reading your blogs! And I will definitely be purchasing your book! Congratulations!!!!

The Thanksgiving outing looked like a lot of fun! And like a normal weekend for our family! Myself, as well as my husband and two boys are avid hunters. We hunt with bows as well as guns and usually try to harvest 3-4 deer each year as that is what we usually consume. I feel MUCH better knowing my family is consuming meat that is free from chemicals and steroids and that the animal was taken in his natural habitat – not made to live in mentally and physically substandard conditions!!! Not saying that we don’t ever buy meat from a grocery store, but I do cringe somewhat every time I buy chicken – as even the packages stating “steroid free” looks as though the leg quarters came off of a 40 pound turkey!!!!!

Now….to touch on the issue of guns or no guns….I grew up around firearms my entire life. I knew how to handle them and have always known to respect them. I remember my concern when the boys were younger of not wanting guns in the house. My husband reminded me that we both grew up in homes with guns…and that when you TEACH a child responsibility with firearms, you do not have to worry. And he is right. Our children have been shooting guns for years now and it’s a sport that we enjoy as a family. It also gives me peace of mind that every member of our family is very capable of protecting our home if the need arose!!!!

Ok….I’m done….you keep doing what you do!

Candy, i just love you! No one ever has to wonder what you’re thinking. And you have the common sense that so many need.

20. tamwarner says:

My father served in WW2 in the Navy, and was in the Army Central Intelligence Corps for the Korean War. He believed having a gun was an invitation to getting shot. He hated war and all violence. My impression was that he learned things from his time in the Army that he never wanted to know. He felt very strongly against guns in a time when gun control was simply not an issue at all.