Valentine’s Gift Buying Advice for Men

angela and bear

Just in time for Valentine’s Day, here’s one of my most popular posts ever. It’s also in my ebook, which would be a great and inexpensive gift for your spouse, girlfriend, mail carrier, parole officer, taxidermist, obgyn, congressman, shady accountant, socially awkward Rob Lowe….pretty much everyone you know.

angela book cover

Click here to download it to your Kindle or smart phone’s Kindle app.

okay…onto the post…

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, we’re bombarded by advertising. Most is directed toward guys…because they rely heavily on ads to tell them what to buy their gals for holidays. That way they don’t have to think. If a company were to market yak manure as the perfect Valentine’s gift, you can be darn sure that hundreds of men would send it to their sweethearts. Run a commercial with a few hot models oohing and ahhing over a steaming pile of droppings, and orders would pour in by the shit load. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist).

Now a word of caution.

I’m not sure what I’d like for V-Day, but I can guarantee with 100-percent certainty that it isn’t a teddy bear from the Vermont Teddy Bear Company. Yes, you’ve seen the commercials, running 386 times a day on every cable network with even one male viewer.

be mine bear

The ads feature attractive, female recipients, ages 20 to 40-something, thrilled to receive an over-priced stuffed animal…that “arrives as a Bear-Gram gift, packed inside our fun and colorful gift box with air hole complete with a personalized card and gourmet candy.”

IMG_0751

Maybe in my 36.9 years I’ve lost touch with the true concept of “fun” but I’ve never been one to consider a gift box to be fun…unless it was a box of wine nestled in 20 pounds of bubble wrap.

Popular Vermont teddy bear themes include:

– “I’ve Fallen for You” bear that comes complete with a bandage and crutch.

– “Love at First Bite” vampire bear, which is dressed like a black street corner pimp. If that doesn’t say “true love, then nothing does!” …

– “Hooked on You” bear, which looks like Paddington as a transvestite pirate.

– Perhaps my favorite is the ‘Hoodie/Footie bear, dressed in pink footed pajamas with its paws in the pockets looking like “what? I didn’t do anything.” The best part, though, is that Hoodie/Footie Bear also comes with women’s size pink footed pajamas allowing you to be twins with your teddy bear.

(I so wish I could show photos, but there’s that stupid copyright thing. Visit their website and see for yourself. Based on these women’s excitement, you’d think the bears come with at least one vibrating appendage.)

My question to Vermont Teddy Bear Company executives is this…

Do you think we’re toddlers? How many women over the age of six, with an IQ above 50, would actually hope to receive a stuffed animal for any holiday… and then want to dress themselves up like it?

If you were marketing these for dads to give to their little girls, it would make sense, but wives and girlfriends? Yeah, maybe if you’re targeting pedophiles!

Not even when I was a kid did I ever look over at my teddy bear collection and think “Gosh, I’d sure like to have my own “hug me” t-shirt like Snuggle Bear is wearing.” I know some girls did, though. The American Girl Doll craze is a classic example. But, again, those are for kids. Not grown women with jobs and kids and dinner to plan and PMS and depleted 401k’s.

I don’t want a FREAKIN’ TEDDY BEAR or the ridiculous matching jammies!

teddy-bear-567952_640

I want Jewelry! Botox! A Caribbean Cruise! A Spanx Wardrobe! Bladder Control! My pre-childbirth boobs back!

So, James, if you’re reading this, I don’t care how many Vermont Teddy Bear commercials you see between now and Monday, Never …in any realm of the imagination, unless I sustain a brain altering head injury, will I want one of those God forsaken carnival prizes. I don’t care what it’s wearing, or what I could wear to match!

Any man who would buy one of those for his wife deserves to have it shoved up his rear stuffed animal cavity.

17 Responses to Valentine’s Gift Buying Advice for Men

1. Carolann says:

LOL I was just thinking the same thing when I saw that commercial. What a dopy gift indeed. Oh, just bought your book too! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Carolann, what do you think is the demographic of Vermont Teddy Bear Co’s target audience? Where do you think they find these women who get so excited over a stuffed animal? I can’t imagine.

3. mrsmuffintop says:

ohhahahahhahahahah. I love it!!!! Bladder control and pre-kid boobs!! Perfection!!!!!

Lol! Thanks so much, Mrs. Muffin. I’m glad you got a laugh. 😀

5. Megan says:

Love this! So cute.

6. FINALLY! A grown woman telling the world….
    Enough with the damn Teddy Bears. I wouldn’t
    get my husband a Matchbox car!

7. I heard Vermont TB has a 50 Shades of Grey BDSM bear. No lie–heard it but didn’t want to give it a click.

Carol, that was probably a wise decision.

Cathy! What an excellent comparison! Thanks for the comment.

10. Mommy A to Z says:

Ha! I totally agree! Teddy bears are for kids. I want chocolate. Or something shiny. With chocolate inside. Great post!

Thanks, Mommy A to Z. Shiny is always good.

12. Brooke says:

I live in Florida, and I have never seen a Vermont teddy bear commercial here in the 14 years I’ve lived here. I’m actually from Vermont, and would love one. Where a small state and very proud of local businesses. Perhaps you were located somewhere in the Northeast? I know Vermont teddy bear company has a large following. People have collected them for years and years. I don’t have a single one, though.

Brooke, I hadn’t really thought about it from that perspective. I guess if I were from Vermont, I’d be proud too. The commercials really should say more about them being collector’s items rather than having scantily clad women pawing at them. It’s almost like the ad was produced by Playboy TV. That’s a huge turn-off to me.

14. I’ve always found it ridiculous that teddy bears are often featured as a gift for full-grown women. If my husband bought me one, I’d hit him over the head with it… then give it to my grandsons (who probably wouldn’t want it either).

Lol, Lisa! Thanks for validating my point. Glad to know you’d be one slightly violent at receiving a teddy bear gift. 😃

16. Heheheh, those teddy bears are EVERYWHERE!

Aren’t they, though! Thanks for the comment, Jennifer!