Quirky, Vintage Home Decor a la Angela (aka photos of stuff in my house)

Recently someone in a blogging group suggested that we post photos of things around our homes and tell the stories that go with them. I thought it was a good idea as long as nothing I post leads to an arrest warrant. Hopefully all that evidence has been destroyed.

When it comes to decorating, my choices fall into four categories.

1) Old

2) Weird, odd, strange, humorous, preferably a little disconcerting

3) Not mass-produced (If it is mass produced, it should be old and/or weird.)

4) Anything made by one of my kids, no matter how crappy it looks

Here are a few of my favorite things.

IMG_1384 IMG_1385

I love vintage bottles. Especially ones that contain old medicines or poisons. They give guests a welcoming “don’t-eat-anything-they-give-you” sort of vibe. We’ve gotten some great comments about the chloroform, formaldehyde and strychnine in the powder room. The Laudanum bottle used to be half full. I guess sampling is okay.

The Dixie Blind Staggers Remedy is a special piece. Growing up, when one of us was sick, my dad would say that we had the “blind staggers.” I’d always thought it was just a funny illness that he made up until running across the orange box in an antique store in Petersburg. Of course, I had to buy it.

This is my all time favorite purchase from the Treasure Store in Dublin, GA. It’s a fish reading a book. He must be over 40 because he’s wearing little reading glasses.

It might seem silly, but I still display my kids’ old artwork from preschool to now for every holiday. Here’s our St. Patrick’s theme in really bad lighting. No matter how old the boys get, I want to enjoy their creativity all throughout the year…not just when I’m looking at scrapbooks.

Jack always wanted an outdoors/hunting themed bedroom. The hornet nest in the corner used to hang in my brother’s room after he found it in the woods 30 years ago. (Gosh, I’m getting old.) Luckily it had been vacant for quite a while. Guess the hornet real estate market was slow that year.

I would show you pics of Andrew’s room, but his laundry hamper and bat bag exploded in there at some point last night and he’s still in bed, asleep.

My first ever Pinterest project. We already had the old plywood and paint. I printed out the letters myself and the frames were $1 each.

Valspar La Fonda Sombrero

I started painting the upstairs hall the other day. Starting is much easier than finishing.

Weird California, Weird Georgia and Weird Virginia books-Sterling Publishing.

Did I mention that I like weird stuff? These books are available for every state (I think). I painted the eyeball tree pic in the background, trying to be like one of my favorite Etsy artists, Kerri Ambrosino.

I have a thing for old funeral home fans. They’re lovely yet sort of creepy.

My chalk-painted Goodwill frame display. It still needs something, but I’m not sure what. (Don’t say pictures.) I might just trash the whole thing and start over.

My granny’s piano. That’s her in the picture. At age 12, she and my great aunt Gladys, her twin sister, starting playing the organ and piano for the First Christian Church in Wrightsville, GA. Rarely missing a Sunday, they were the church musicians until shortly before Granny passed away at age 86. Their renditions of “In the Garden” and “Softly and Tenderly” could bring tears to your eyes.

Kids’ art gallery wall…except in this case the kids’ art was painted by a middle-aged me.

I thought I might be an artist once, but every time I displayed one of my pieces, people would ask if Andrew or Jack painted it in kindergarten.

This is my favorite. I call it “Untrustworthy Orange Cat.”

This is “Embarrassed Plaid Moose.”

Old farm tables with painted chairs are so cool to me.

West Elm Dapper Animal Plates

These are from West Elm. The idea of woodland creatures dressed in human clothing makes me smile.

Old Treasure Store typewriter, elementary art class pottery projects and a photo of James and me from 13 years ago that reminds me how much I’ve aged.

IMG_1396 IMG_1398

This old hat box and giant dollar watch metal thing are from Hall Brothers Department store in Wrightsville, GA. It was started by my great grandfather, then passed to my grandfather and then to my dad. As a little kid, I had a large time hiding inside the circular clothing racks and shouting “BOO” at unsuspecting shoppers as they pushed the hangers aside. (They didn’t seem to enjoy this game as much as I did.)

Who doesn’t need an old paper cutter from Crazy Jack’s Antique Bazaar in Chesterfield?

One can never have too many quilts…a motto I adopted from my mom.

Loyal Mr. Giant Metal Rooster stands guard in the front flower bed. His menacing presence scares off any would-be burglars.

angela book cover

Click here to download my book.

Finally, here’s a shameless plug for my ebook available for download on your kindle or kindle smart phone app. It has 60 humor essays guaranteed to bring a few laughs and rumored to cure PMS.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Quirky, Vintage Home Decor a la Angela (aka photos of stuff in my house)

1. http://elitephysiquesinc.com/elite-physiques-blog/ says:

That’s a great idea taking photos in your house for your blog. It makes you connect more with the blogger. I like the plaid moose and the cat photo. Thank you!

Aw, thanks so much for your comment! I appreciate that.

3. I know I just had a peek inside your house, but I feel like I just got a chance to look inside your head. I love the eclectic look and what each presentation means to you.
    I wrote a post quite a while ago about the art gallery in my home. It’s on the walls of the stairway leading to the basement and is all pieces done by my kids in elementary school. Not only is it a fun representation of their art, but the kids and their friends hang out in the basement so it serves too embarrass them too. Now you’ve had a look into my head!

4. You have a really neat and interesting collection going! 🙂

I love it, Karen!!!! Great minds think alike.

6. Thanks for the tour! My son used to love the “Weird NJ” book when he was younger. As for the rest you are so funny and interesting at the same time. I love the story about your grandmother.

Thanks so much, Cathy! I appreciate that.

8. mysocalledmidlife.net says:

What a fabulous collection! My favorite is the plaid moose…adorable!

Thanks! I’m fond of the plaid moose too.

10. Wow. You have ample conversation pieces in your home. So many interesting items. Thanks for sharing.

11. 1: I love your quirkiness. 2: You need to be my friend, because you need to see the wallpaper in my room…..you can have it. lol

12. Darlene Daniel says:

I would not call it quirky of weird, I would call it eclectic, makes it sound like you are quite the decorator! Love all the pictures. You have style!

13. Darlene Daniel says:

“or” I should always vheck bwfore I pist.

14. Christine says:

I love your name in the frames. I always think about taking pics when I, or mainly my hubby, is halfway through a project and then it is like well…we missed the BEFORE pics. But maybe even just taking random pics like you did would be fun, especially come years down the road and tastes change.

Thanks, Christine! Yep, I’ve missed so many “before” pics too. Glad to know I’m not the only one.

Thanks, Darlene! I do like to decorate…as long as it’s cheap or free.

I can’t wait to see your wallpaper. Please add me as a friend.

18. I adore the fish reading a book. Looks very much like Mr. Limpet (one of my all-time fave films). And funeral fans? I didn’t know there was such a thing. But what an interesting thing to collect. I’ll start watching for them when I’m out and about perusing antique stores.

19. What a fun glimpse into you and the way you live– a great idea!

20. LOVE your eclectic tastes!! And where on earth did you find those great bottles????

Thanks, Carol!

22. CaptCruncher says:

You had me until the…hornet’s nest!!! Thanks for the peak into your world!

23. Your house looks very much like my Aunt’s house who collects antiques. I really love the idea of the hornet’s nest – that is VERY cool!

Ah, c’mon, Ruth. You could make some photo puzzles out of it.

Thanks, Stacy. I visit antique stores and flea markets all over the place looking for old bottles.

Thanks, Lisa! Well they’re just hand fans. All kinds of places used to give them away back in the day. Maybe it was a bigger thing in GA because it was so darn hot there.

Okay, this is awesome! And I’m so with you that “starting is easier than finishing.” So true!

28. peopledonteatenoughfudge says:

God I LOVE your artwork!! You should do a give away with one as a prize, I’d enter! I might give this one a go too, Big D gave me a giant metal frog for my birthday AND I have a collection of old bottles too – it’s like we are twins or something (although that hornets nest is just plain weird!) x

29. Tamara says:

Thank you for that tour through your house. I was a bit scared at first. Poison bottles and all. But I’m glad I kept watching and reading. Love your wooden table and the untrustworthy orange cat. The moose in PJs, too 😉

30. Weird stuff makes the house homey! I love weird art-making it and buying it-it’s kinda an addiction ☺

31. Mark Royce says:

Trying to find a dapper bear plate – willing to buy for $50 – please let me know. Thank you!

Hi Mark, I wish I could help you out, but if I sold Dapper Bear, the other animals would be so upset.